Monday, January 4, 2016

Supanel rebuild almost done

Today, I riveted the parts that were fabricated and primed yesterday.

The GSU 25 mounting using the Sketchup technique was the easiest one yet. I've struggled with drilling 4 holes that line up exactly with the part I'm mounting. When I can match drill, I do that, but on these avionics I don't want to use their mounting holes as drill guide bushings. Plus, the aluminum parts are about 0.025 in thick, so there is some play in them. I suspect when I clamp them down on my uneven work surface (long story, crooked hangar floor + homemade welded table..) it puts some bend into the material. Anyway, this one lined up great! I'll definitely be using this in the future.



The top right bolt is not mounted yet.. I'm waiting on some floating nutplates for that application. Oh yeah, I'm using nutplates to facilitate any maintenance. Hopefully the floating nutplate will allow me to final position the GSU perfectly square. Turns out, you can get floating nutplates with the rivet mounting holes pre-dimpled. For the GSU 25 the mounting bolts are sized 10-32, so the corresponding nutplates are  MS21059-L3K for the dimpled rivet holes and MS21059-L3 for the regular, un-dimpled rivet holes. Not the cheapest hardware at about $0.75 from Wicks aircraft, but will save some time hopefully.



The back of the subpanel also got some stiffeners.


On the other subpanel rib the doubler/doubler got riveted too.



It looks kind of funny but stiffens it up quite a bit and will do a good job of housing the GEA 24. Ran out of nutplates/time so I didn't get to install, but you get the idea. Sorry for the blurry photo, but I'm no good at selfies evidently. 


Finally, here's the subpanel kind of put back together

No comments:

Post a Comment